Lately Rubenerd blogged about Reading people’s blog archives and I remembered that I used to do that when I had nothing better to do. One of my favorites was Norayr’s yearly retrospective. Let’s try doing the same here.
I’m happy that I’m not doing this last year, as 2020 was the year of pain, loss and war.
2021, on the other hand, was the year of happiness, gain and love.
Let’s start 🙂
- I finally had a proper vacation
- I even blogged about it!
- I moved with my girlfriend, Coffee, to a new apartment!
- It has an amazing view of our lovely city, Yerevan 🙂
- Had a car accident around October
- No major incident, fully recovered
- My ideological crisis made me rethink my technological choices
- I moved to open-source Android, LineageOS, running on my Google Pixel 2 phone.
- You’d think that now I’ve completely ditched Apple, but that’s not true.
- A friend of mine needed a laptop, so I moved back to my MacBook Pro and gave her my ThinkPad T480s
- Wrote a new FreeBSD Jail orchestration software named Jailer. I planned on open-sourcing it in the Summer, but with the lack of hands I hope it will be released Spring of 2022
- I moved all my servers to Jailer
- I ditched music streaming services and I’m more than happy with this choice
- I moved all my networks to WireGuard and I’m happy with that choice too!
- I wrote 65 entries, which makes me sad. I hope I will blog a lot more in 2022
- 3 of my entries were posted on the orange site with many people commenting about them
- I added a comment section to my website using isso
- Reading more about blogging led me to learn about Dave Winer
- I redid the theme of my website based on Archie theme which was written by Athul
- I automated my writing process using Shell Scripts
- I organized the first Systems We Love — Armenia meetup
- The plan was to make it a monthly thing, but life happened
- For years I dreamed about an Armenian Open-Source Ecosystem, as of 2021 we have
- Jabber.am, the first public Jabber server, originally started in 2017
- Օրագիր.հայ (which translates to Diary), ActivityPub-based WriteFreely instance
- We went to the city of Stepanavan and organized a GradaranCamp (LibraryCamp) at the Stepanavan public library. Unlike me, my friends continue organizing it
- I started using Twitter Spaces which led me to talk with my idols, including Bryan Cantrill. His talks have shaped my methodology and ideology for years. I don’t have the word to describe how happy I am about this. I kinda still don’t believe it 🙂
- I have given 8 talks this years, including and not limited to
- Portland Linux/Unix Group Online Meeting: 360Cloud based on FreeBSD
- BarCamp 2021: FreeBSD Cloud
- BarCamp 2021: Open-Source ecosystems and Armenian tech communities
- BarCamp 2021: Information Security Panel
- PYerevan #15 Meetup: Tracing Production
- ArmSec 2021: Tracing hackers for fun and profit
- ArmSec 2021: DNSSEC in Armenia
- Our lovely company, illuria Security, Inc., got acquired by Tevano Systems Holding, Inc., so now we’re officially a public company
- We got a new office and we’re growing rapidly!
- We organized a Capture The Flag competition in co-operation with CyHub Armenia
I hope 2022 brings the best to all of us.
That’s all folks